Thursday, November 12, 2009

Thursday, 12 Nov. 2009

Oiy. I apologize for not updating, and I realize (unexpectedly, truth be told) that my non-updating has actually worried people.

My only explainations are that my laptop has been giving me technical difficulties, and I was only willing to power it up for required school assignments. Which have just recently begun to pile up on me... >.<

Anyway, Dad's had some relapses. I say that in the pulural becaue I mean that in the plural. After his panic attack, followed by his possible appendicitis (which proved only to be gas, by-the-by), Dad got out of ICU (somewhat too early). Before I explain that, I will mention some more uplifting things.

Dad always knew who we were at this point in time, and was able to respond to teasing. He was also a bit more aware of his situation. Mom told me that when Dad's friend, Kevin, was visiting, she mentioned getting him better and getting him home, but he shook his head, and circled his chest with his thumb. Mom asked him if he wanted the (second) surgery before going home, and he nodded, saying, "I want it done." Hah, that's Dad. Nevermind the increased risk factors, let's get it all over and done with now.

Shortly after this, unfortunately, things began to imply that Dad might actually know what he was talking about better than the doctors. Hmm.... It is his body after all......

Mom and I visited him on Sunday, off and on in between doing the chores ususally left to Dad (meaning, chores we weren't entirely sure how to do). We saw him about noon, and though he was a bit grumpy, he was alright, not completely there, but coherent enough. This was the day he was taken out of ICU, something that surprised all of us.

Later, Dad wasn't doing so well. Mom and I visited him, with Tracey meeting up with us a short bit later. Grandma and Grandpa were there already, so we had to juggle the hospital tags around.... (@.@)

So, Grandpa comes down and I enter the room, Mom and Grandpa already present. As we stand there, Dad's not doing well at all. His vitals are down, he appears "loopy" and a bit panicked, his breathing shallow and labored. What happened is unclear, the only people in the room being Grandma and Grandpa, who say that it was because Dad's roommate was going home that got him upset. Considering his earlier statement of wanting the second surgery first, maybe this did upset him. Or perhaps something happened that Grandma and Grandpa missed.

In either case, Mom asked Grandma if she called a nurse, to which Grandma responded in the negative. Mom got the nurses, who started coming in and out of the room in increasing numbers. Grandma had to leave, which allowed Tracey to come up to the room, and we were there when Dad was transported to a different room that had better (more in-depth) monitors. They got him calmed down, and he fell into a deep sleep. They also gave him some sedatives to keep him out the rest of the night.

The next day, Dad was back in ICU. This day wasn't so good, but the next was better, even though he choked on the chicken and wouldn't eat anymore. Mom reported that the chicken was rubbery. She asked the nurse if she could cook something for him and bring it in; the nurse said it was okay.

Mom brought the meatloaf and rice Dad requested in time for lunch, only to find Dad in a drug-induced sleep, and to learn that he had had a bad night. This was Wednesday.

Right now, Thursday evening, Dad remains under sedation, and is being considered for transport to USC again, to have his surgery soon.

The problems he is facing that lead to this are: his lungs are filling with blood, but they cannot be drained because he was given blood-thinners to help with his heart. The deterioration in his heart has progressed further, the implication being {perhaps nearly?} too far. And he has developed pneumonia again.

His chances, as he stands now, are low, of course. Surviving without the surgery, survivng the surgery, surviving after the surgery.... They're all high-risk factors, making the doctors unwilling to undertake the task.

We don't know what's going to happen next, or when. The Antelope Valley Hospital doctors are trying to find USC doctors willing to take Dad on, but so far no good.

One last note: I'm not sure when, I lose track of things especially given the time gap (I haven't written notes for this since the first few entries) but Dad now has most of his lines back in; catheter, IV, BiPAP, feeding tube down his nose, drug (er, sedation) lines... They're all back. *sigh* He's got restraints on his wrists, but most of the time the nurses don't tie them down since Mom or someone is there to yell at him (er, direct him in firm tones) to not pull things off/out. So that's something...

I believe that is the lastest of "Dad in the Hospital". I'm not sure when I'm going to update again; I'll seriously try to not leave a gap like this, but between the computer not turning on every time and the homework rush, I'll just say.... When there's something big/solid/etc., I'll post it.

- Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment

Facebook Badge

Followers